HOW TO GET AROUND?
The truth is that Madrid is very well communicated with public transports via underground, buses and trains. The undergroung openning hours are extensive but for the rest of trasnportation means the opening hours are reduced. For this reason, we recommend to get a car to move freely around the city and surrounding areas such as Aranjuez, Alcalá de Henares, the mountains or Toledo. In Unocar we offer a wide range of car rental in Madrid at the different airport terminals, train or bus stations, as well as in different parts of the city and surrounding areas.
WHAT CAN YOU VISIT?
- Palacio Real (Royal Palace.) It is the former residence of the Kings of Spain, used today for certain state ceremonies. You can have a free or a guided visit in the facilities of the palace as well as the Cathedral and the spectacular views and gardens surrounding the Palace.
- Puerta del Sol. It is the main square of Madrid and, therefore, of Spain. It is also called the Kilometer Zero of the Spanish roads. Around this square are a large number of leisure and cultural areas such as shops, restaurants, the Plaza Mayor, museums and theaters.
- Parque de Europa. Located in Torrejón de Ardoz, it is a municipal park that has 18 replicas of European monuments. Who said that you could not visit Europe in a day?
- Parque del Retiro. Known as one of the lungs of the city, Parque del Retiro is a public park where you can find tourist attractions such as the Crystal Palace, the Grand Pond where you can enjoy a boat trip or the Puerta de Felipe IV among many others. Ideal to relax in one of its terraces, in its gardens or to exercise and burn all those calories that Madrid has given us with its restaurants.
In addition to this, it is also a must visit the Gran Via, the Plaza Mayor, the Templo de Debod, the Casa de Campo, or some of the many museums in Madrid, such as El Prado or Thyssen. El Escorial and El Palacio de Aranjuez are some other places woth to visit.
WHAT CAN I DO?
As we have already told you, Madrid has a lot of cultural, tourist and leisure attractions that will make our visit to the city something unforgettable.
- Medieval Market of Alcalá de Henares. It is usually held in October, being the largest medieval market in Europe. It hostes more than 300.000 visitors annually. Here you can enjoy street stalls, craftsmen, street vendors, troubadours and neighbors that will transport you to the Spanish Golden Age.
- Fundación Telefónica. Located in the heart of Gran Vía, it is a cultural center where you will find temporary exhibitions, workshops and numerous events.
- Warner Park. Located in San Martín de la Vega, it is a perfect theme park to spend the day with friends or family. You will find numerous shows and more than 40 attractions among which is the second largest freefall attaction in the world.
WHAT SHALL I EAT?
- Cocido madrileño (Madrid stew.) No doubt when we come to Madrid, the first thing we want to do is to savor is the real stew. In Madrid there are places where you will enjoy as a little child.
- Tortilla de cebolla (potato omelette.) The mythical 'pincho de tortilla'. Yes, it is something that you will find at any bar you enter, but in very few it is excellent.
- Huevos rotos (broken eggs.) The best known are served with ham, although they are also with chorizo (spicy pork sausage), gulas, etc. Maybe we'll leave with the place with a few more pounds, but happy.
- La Bola. It is a traditional tavern in the heart of old Madrid where they serve stew and other dishes typical from Madrid since the 19th century. Definitely an obligatory stot. Make your reservation or you will not get a table! Telephone: 915 47 69 30.
- Casa Lucio. Typical tavern in La Latina mainly known for its broken eggs. Telephone: 913 65 32 52.
- Bar Casa Paco. Maybe the place seen from the outside will draw you back, but if we tell you that it has more than twenty-five types of tortilla and some croquettes that taste so good, that they will make you lick your fingers. Then, maybe you'll change your mind. It is located in Argüelles. Telephone: 915 43 28 21.